It’s time for the May Wrap Up, hosted by Kathryn @ Book Date, and a lot went on this month at Thoughts From an Evil Overlord besides my birthday. I just realized I didn’t have cake and that’s the main reason for having birthdays, isn’t it? For birthdays, I like a traditional cake, chocolate or vanilla with buttercream icing, although May is National German Chocolate Cake Month, and I’m a fan of those also. Either way, I’ll get one this week. I am also linking this post to the weekly memes Sunday Post at Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Stacking the Shelves at Tynga’s Reviews.
- I’m slowly making blog improvements. I finally wrote a disclosure and ethics policy, changed the social share buttons within posts, put some pull-downs on my top menu, added Grammarly, a spell-check app that works right inside Chrome, and set up an Amazon Associates account. It won’t make me rich, but I hope to eventually cover the monthly hosting cost of the blog.
- A couple of weeks ago I mentioned a problem I was having leaving comments on blogs that use Blogger. It seems to be only the ones where the comment set up is embedded at the bottom of the post. The ones that open in their own window work fine. The same is true for Disqus on Blogger. It’s still happening, and neither Chrome nor Blogger can seem to help. Interesting, since they’re both owned by Google.Thought people might be interested.
- I’m quite pleased with myself because I completed so many posts in advance as part of the Blogging Ahead Challenge with Herding Cats & Burning Soup. After writing reviews for every ARC I’ve finished, I have complete posts for 4 out of 7 days a week through the second week of June! I also have four (!) discussion posts that I am saving as drafts for when I want to use them. If I get sick or get swept off my feet by a man who wants to fly me to Ireland, I’m all set!
- This month I started linking in each week to the READING ROUND UP, a compilation of giveaways and book reviews posted @Read This! and hosted by Karen from KissinBlueKaren. It’s a good way to expose your reviews to a broader audience.
FROM THE LIBRARY – These were all good, even if I didn’t review them. I’d go nutty if I did these as well as the ARCs!
- The Mapmaker’s Children by Sara McCoy
- The Liar by Nora Roberts
- The Sum of all Kisses (Smythe-Smith #3) by Julia Quinn
- The Kill Room: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel by Jeffrey Deaver
- The Rosary Girls by Richard Montanari
- Happiness Key (Happiness Key #1) by Emilie Richards
- One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak
- The Black Box (Harry Bosch #18) by Michael ConnellyARCS READ – Linked to posted reviews. I liked all of these for different reasons.
- The Prodigal Sister by Laura Elliot
- The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Lisa Piazza
- The Canterbury Sisters by Kim Wright
- Sea Glass Sunrise by Donna Kauffman
- Solitude Creek by Jeffrey Deaver (Released May 12.)
- The Amazing Journey by Grady Hicks (May 31 release)
- One Murder More by Kris Calvin (June 1 release)
- Sweet Forgiveness by Laurie Nelson Spielman (June 2 release)
- Blueprints by Barbara Delinsky (June 9 release)
- The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows (June 9 release)
- The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler (June 23 release)
JUNE MUST READS
- That Chesapeake Summer by Mariah Stewart (June 23 release)
- The Woman in the Movie Star Dress by Praveen Asthana (Released February 28.)
MAY CRIME PICK OF THE MONTH
Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise hosts a monthly link for a crime novel pick of the month. I didn’t read a lot of crime this month, but my favorite was The Rosary Girls by Richard Montanari, the first in the Byrnes & Balzano series. I was introduced to the series when I received The Dollmaker from NetGalley and liked it so much I went and got the first from my library. I didn’t review it because I had so many reviews in May.READING CHALLENGE UPDATE
- Snagged @ the Library – 50/50 COMPLETE in April!
- New to Me Authors – 31/25 COMPLETE in May!
- Cloak & Dagger – 20 / 40 books. = 50% complete
- Historical Fiction – 20/25 books = 80% complete
- What’s In a Name – 5/6 = 84% Still need a book with a body of water in the title.
- Women Authors – 20/20 COMPLETE in February!
Anything new with your blog in May? Did you meet your goals or participate in any fun features?